SVQ In Professional Cookery At SCQF Level 6 SVQ
What is special about this course?
This course is for Chefs/Cooks who are looking to develop their skills to the next level. You will focus on complex cookery techniques and refine your presentation skills, while exploring new techniques in the kitchen that will grow your confidence as to extend their skills in practical work as a successful chef. The course consists of fifteen units, and those wishing to pursue this level of skill can attend college on a full time or part time basis to learn new techniques and associated underpinning knowledge.
Applicants must have an SVQ Level 5 in Professional Cookery or equivalent and/or a number of years' experience in the industry.
- Mandatory Units
- Maintain Food Safety in a Kitchen Environment
- Maintain the Health, Hygiene, Safety and Security of the Working Environment
- Optional Units
- Prepare Meat for Complex Dishes
- Cook and Finish Complex Meat Dishes
- Prepare Poultry for Complex Dishes
- Cook and Finish Complex Poultry Dishes
- Cook and Finish Complex Fish Dishes
- Cook and Finish Complex Vegetarian Dishes
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Complex Hot Sauces
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Complex Soups
- Prepare, Cooks and Finish Complex Cakes, Sponges, Biscuits and Scones
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Complex Bread and Dough Products
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Complex Pastry Products
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Complex Hot Desserts
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Complex Cold Desserts
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Day release
You will study by way of class-room based lectures and tutorials in College and by using on-line support materials. The Course is continuously assessed.
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
If you are studying a full time Further Education course (NCs, NQs etc.) the College claims your fees from the Scottish Funding Council for students who are under 18 on the first day of the course. Students over the age of 18 on the first day of the course have to apply to Orkney Islands Council (OIC) for a tuition fees bursary.
Information on the tuition fees bursary is available on the OIC website.
Normally you are responsible for your course fees but if you are in receipt of certain benefits you may be eligible for a Part Time Course Fee Waiver. Not all part-time courses at Orkney College UHI are covered by the Fee Waiver Scheme and only certain benefits are acceptable as a basis for a Fee Waiver. Please contact the college to enquire.
If you are eligible, you may be entitled to an ILA of up to £200 a year towards a course.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for SVQ In Professional Cookery At SCQF Level 6 SVQ
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Orkney College UHI. Orkney College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.