Professional Chef SVQ2
What is special about this course?
The bulk of this course covers an SVQ 2 in Professional Cookery. This is suplemented by units in Costing, Food Hygiene, and Communication.
NC in Hospitality
4 Standard Grades at Level 3/4 one of which must be English
4 National 4 Certificates at 3/4, one of which must be in English
Department entry task/assessment
The course will cover the following areas:
- Hospitality Costing
- Food Hygiene for the Hospitality Industry
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain handle and clean knives
- Prepare vegetables for basic dishes
- Cook and finish basic fish dishes
- Cook and finish basic meat dishes
- Cook and finish basic poultry dishes
- Cook and finish basic vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot soups
- Prepare, cook and finish basic bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot and cold desserts
Chefs Whites and suitable footwear
Set of Knives
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
A mixture of practical and theory classes
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
Further education tuition fees
If you are studying a full time Further Education course (NCs, NQs etc.) the College claims your fees from the Scottish Funding Council for students who are under 18 on the first day of the course. Students over the age of 18 on the first day of the course have to apply to Orkney Islands Council (OIC) for a tuition fees bursary.
Information on the tuition fees bursary is available on the OIC website.
Normally you are responsible for your course fees but if you are in receipt of certain benefits you may be eligible for a Part Time Course Fee Waiver. Not all part-time courses at Orkney College UHI are covered by the Fee Waiver Scheme and only certain benefits are acceptable as a basis for a Fee Waiver. Please contact the college to enquire.
If you are eligible, you may be entitled to an ILA of up to £200 a year towards a course. Further information can be found at https://www.myworldofwork.co.uk/learn-and-train/sds-individual-learning-accounts-ila
What can I do on completion of my course?
This course will allow progression to HNC in Professional Cookery and/or SVQ 3 in Professional Cookery
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Professional Chef SVQ2
We are no longer accepting applications for 2019/20
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Orkney College UHI. Orkney College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.