GMDSS Restricted Operator Certificate
Global Maritime Distress Safety: this course is suitable for persons who operate VHF radio on vessels which are ‘compulsory fit’ i.e. they are required by law to have a VHF radio fitted.
- commercial vessels in area A1 (VHF range) such as Fishermen
- crew on vessels of a certain size/working within 50 miles offshore
- harbour operatives
Candidates must be 18 or over, in possession of a current ENG 1 medical fitness certificate and meet the standards set out in the STCW Code.
- SOLAS procedures and log book keeping.
- Radio Theory.
- Knowledge of the basic features of the maritime mobile system.
- Detailed practical knowledge and ability to use the basic equipment of a ship station, VHF and DSC.
- Practical operation of GMDSS system and subsystems – GMDSS, Navtex, EPIRB, SART, VHF DSC, VHF Transceiver. Distress, Urgency and Safety Communication procedures and Search and Rescue.
- Equipment test procedures.
- Battery charging and maintenance.
- Obligatory procedures and practices, practical and theoretical knowledge of general communications procedures.
GMDSS Restricted Operator Certificate.
Examination consists of three parts;
- SOLAS written paper with 75% pass mark
- Practical exam on live equipment
- Group communication exercise
To gain your qualification you must bring the following with you:
- two passport photographs
- photo ID (passport or driving licence)
- National Insurance Number or Passport Number