Human Element, Leadership & Management (Operations)
This STCW course is designed to give all officers the education and training in the human element leadership and management at operational level meeting the Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency (KUP) requirements set out in STCW requirements.
Learning objectives (Mntb guideline, in conjunction with MCA)
- Identify good practice in shipboard human resource management.
- Identify the importance of the ‘human element’ in shipboard operations.
- Apply the underpinning knowledge of related international maritime conventions
And recommendations, national regulations, and codes of practice and guidelines covered in other mandatory units when controlling the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the operational level.
- Apply the elements of task and workload management,
Including planning, co ordination, allocation and prioritisation of human and physical resources when controlling the operation of the ship and care for persons on board.
- Apply effective resource management techniques with regard to:
- Allocation, assignment and prioritisation of resources
- Use of effective communications on board and ashore
- Team working principles
- Use of assertiveness, leadership and motivation principles
- Obtaining and maintaining situational awareness
- Apply the principles and practice of decision-making with regard to
- The influences of situation and risk assessment, including; Why humans make mistakes, why humans break rules and managing errors
- Identifying and considering generated options
- Selecting a course of action
- Evaluating outcome effectiveness.
- Manage fatigue and stress with regard to:
- Causes and effects of fatigue;
- Causes and effects of stress;
- Relation between fatigue and stress;
- Identifying signs and symptoms of stress and fatigue; and
- Developing stress and fatigue management strategies to prevent stress and fatigue from affecting safety.
- Contribute to shipboard training, learning, assessing and developing human potential with regard to:
- Formal and informal learning;
- Learning from mistakes;
- Continuous professional development; and
- Shipboard training, learning, coaching, mentoring and assessment.
The course meets the requirements set out in Reg II/1, III/1, III/6 & Table A-II/1, A-III/1, A-III/6 of the STCW Code. An STCW Proficiency in Human Element Limitation Management (operational) certificate will be issued on successful completion of the course.