What is special about this course?
The BA (Hons) Sports Management degree is designed for those seeking a broad-based management qualification that will introduce you to all aspects of today's modern sporting business. This course will equip you with some of the skills you will need for a career in sports management, including marketing, human resources, business law and IT.
- A key highlight is the project work you will undertake where you investigate real life situations, which enables you to put what you have learned into practice.
- You will have the option of studying coaching and developing sport, or fitness and exercise, in the first and second years of the degree, with the third and fourth years specialising in sports management.
We offer modern student accommodation at a number of our locations.
- Entry to year 1, HNC, is 2 Scottish Highers at grade C or above PLUS 3 standard grades at C or above OR
- 2 A Levels at grade D or above OR
- For mature student entry, requisite experience with evidence of potential to succeed
- Prospective students without the standard entry requirements as listed above are encouraged to apply, appropriate industry related experience will be taken into consideration
- It may be possible, with some additional bridging units, to access from HNC and HND Business, HNC Tourism and HNC Events
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a PVG Disclosure Check and become PVG Scheme Members in order to undertake this course
- Ditrect entry into year 2 is the HNC Coaching and Developing Sport or HNC Fitness, Health and Exercise
- Direct entry to year 3 is the HND Coaching and Developing Sport, HND Fitness Health and Exercise, or DipHE Sports Management
Relevant Scottish Wider Access Programmes (SWAP):
- Access to: Arts and Humanities (Newbattle Abbey College)
- Access to: Arts, Social Sciences and Primary Teaching (Edinburgh College)
- Access to: Arts, Social Sciences and Primary Teaching (North East Scotland College)
- Access to: Community, Education and Humanities (Dundee & Angus College)
- Access to: Degree Studies (Forth Valley College)
- Access to: Humanities (Arts, Social Sciences and Primary Education) (Fife College)
- Access to: Humanities (Fife College)
- Access to: Humanities (Perth College UHI)
- Access to: Languages with Business (Edinburgh College)
- Access to: Languages, Arts and Social Sciences (Edinburgh College)
- Access to: University Study (Dundee & Angus College)
- NQ Access to: Social Sciences (West Lothian College)
- NQ Access to: Teaching (West Lothian College)
Year 1 - HNC
Both the HNC Coaching and Developing Sport; and the HNC Fitness, Health and Exercise are vailable at Inverness College UHI, Moray College UHI and Perth College UHI. The HNC Fitness, Health and Exercise is also available at Argyll College UHI:
Year 2 - DipHE
Coaching and developing sport and fitness, health and exercise routes are available at Inverness College UHI, Moray College UHI and Perth College UHI:
The DipHE Sports Management, is available at other locations.
Subjects in the DipHE include:
- Contemporary Issues
- Principles of Coaching and Development
- Strength and Conditioning
Options may include:
- Essential Skills for Business and Leisure
- Introduction to Work-based and Placement Learning
- Contemporary Marketing
- Understanding Adventure
- Event Planning and Organisation
- Work Placement I: Team Working and Communication
- Work Placement II: Job-Shadowing
- Management Accounting
- Golf Course Maintenance and Design
- Management of Business Information
- Management of Adventure Tourism
- Small Business Planning
Year 3 - BA
Subjects may include:
- Research Skills
- Sports Science: A Critical Analysis
- Research Project and/or
- Work Placement IV: Specialist Skills
Options may include:
- Critical Thinking in Management
- Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise
- Marketing Communications
- Understanding Visitor Behaviour
- Work Placement III: Supervision
- Financial Management
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Niche Tourism
- Management Information Systems
- Project Planning and Management
- International and Export Marketing
- Quality Management
- Expedition Management and Leadership
- Employment Law in the HRM Context
Year 4 - BA (Hons)
You will complete a dissertation, or research and present a plan for a new business venture, and study modules in:
- Sports Policy, Planning and Management
- Managing Sports Development
Option modules may include:
- Strategic Marketing
- Employee Relations and Development
- Strategic Planning
- Corporate Responsibility in the Global Environment
- Tourist event Management
- Innovation and Enterprise
How will I study my course?
You will learn through a combination of face-to-face and video conference lectures in the classroom as well as individual online study via the university’s virtual learning environment (VLE) supported by your tutors and classmates.
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 4 Years
- Part-time: 8 Years
Where can I study my course?
- February (part-time study only)
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Year 1||HNC||£1,285||£1,285||£86 (per HN credit)||£86 (per HN credit)|
|Year 2||DipHE||£1,820||£1,820||£215 (per 20 credit module)||£215 (per 20 credit module)|
|Year 3||Degree||£1,820||£1,820||£215 (per 20 credit module)||£215 (per 20 credit module)|
|Year 4||Honours||£1,820||£1,820||£215 (per 20 credit module)||£215 (per 20 credit module)|
*The Home-Scotland/EU fee rate is set by the Scottish Government and will be confirmed by March 2019.
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term-time address in Scotland studying this course full time, the following fees apply:
|Year 1||HNC||£6,720||£6,720||£448 (per HN credit)||£448 (per HN credit)|
|Year 2||DipHE||£9,000||£9,000||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)|
|Year 3||Degree||£9,000||£9,000||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)|
|Year 4||Honours||free**||free**||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)|
**4th (Honours) year free only for students studying full-time who have paid for previous 3 years at the University of the Highlands and Islands.
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Year 1||HNC||£6,700||£6,700||£448 (per HN credit)||£457 (per HN credit)|
|Year 2||DipHE||£11,100||£11,650||£1,850 (per 20 credit module)||£1,940 (per 20 credit module)|
|Year 3||Degree||£11,100||£11,650||£1,850 (per 20 credit module)||£1,940 (per 20 credit module)|
|Year 4||Honours||£11,100||£11,650||£1,850 (per 20 credit module)||£1,940 (per 20 credit module)|
***There is no part-time study option for Tier 4 sponsored international students.
Further information on international course fees.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time RUK and International undergraduate students for continuous and contiguous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
A degree in Sports Management will provide students with excellent career prospects. This award enables students to develop knowledge and skills highly valued by employers. Graduates could anticipate going on to jobs in public, private and voluntary organisations taking on such roles as:
- Sports development officer
- Leisure centre operative
- Sports manager
Students also will have the potential to become local entrepreneurs with business start-ups in the sport and tourism sectors.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.