SVQ In Professional Cookery At SCQF Level 5 SVQ2
What is special about this course?
The SVQ in Professional Cookery at SCQF Level 5 allows candidates to develop their skills and competence in job-related skills in their area of work and expertise. This qualification covers areas such as workplace health and safety; food safety; standards of behaviour in hospitality; team working; and preparing and cooking a wide range of ingredients to produce dishes to extend their skill in practical work such as a successful chef.
- Work experience and/or SQA units at level 3 or National Progression Award
- 1 Scottish Higher at grade C or above OR
- 1 A Level at grade D or above OR
- Professional Chef Awards: Silver (incorporating SCQF level 5 Professional Cookery) or Gold (Incorporating SCQF 6 Professional Cookery) OR
- NC Hospitality
- Prospective students without the standard entry requirements as listed above are encouraged to apply
- You may be invited to attend an interview
This SVQ L2 course requires you to complete 12 units, 4 of these are mandatory. In addition, you will be required to complete 8 optional units; these units will be selected by the course leader:
- Maintain health and safety in Hospitality
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain and handle knives
- Maintain food safety in a kitchen environment
- Cook and finish basic fish dishes
- Cook and finish basic meat dishes
- Cook and finish basic poultry dishes
- Prepare vegetables for basic dishes
- Cook and finish basic vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook, and finish basic hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish basic soups
- Prepare, cook and finish basic bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cold and hot desserts
- Complete kitchen documentation
- Set up and close kitchen
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
You will study by way of classroom-based lectures and tutorials in college and by using on-line support materials.
Assessments are carried out at work and there are additional questions to support underpinning knowledge.
How long will my course last?1 Year
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Orkney, Kirkwall
If you are studying a full time Further Education course (NCs, NQs etc.) the College claims your fees from the Scottish Funding Council for students who are under 18 on the first day of the course. Students over the age of 18 on the first day of the course have to apply to Orkney Islands Council (OIC) for a tuition fees bursary.
Information on the tuition fees bursary is available on the OIC website.
Normally you are responsible for your course fees but if you are in receipt of certain benefits you may be eligible for a Part Time Course Fee Waiver. Not all part-time courses at Orkney College UHI are covered by the Fee Waiver Scheme and only certain benefits are acceptable as a basis for a Fee Waiver. Please contact the college to enquire.
If you are eligible, you may be entitled to an ILA of up to £200 a year towards a course.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for SVQ In Professional Cookery At SCQF Level 5 SVQ2
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Orkney College UHI. Orkney College UHI operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.