Specialist Qualification in Headship (and Educational Leadership) MEd
What is special about this course?
Both the MEd Specialist Qualification in Headship and the MEd Educational Leadership are three-year, part-time online programmes for aspiring school leaders. The programmes connect directly with local authority and national leadership programmes. The first year of both programmes focuses on Middle Leadership, the second year offers the national Into Headship programme, and the third year offers either the national In Headship programme for those in post as a Headteacher to qualify with the MEd Specialist Qualification in Headship, or an alternative pathway for those in curriculum leadership to complete the MEd Educational Leadership.
The programme utilises a collaborative approach to online learning, with learning activities designed to develop teacher agency, support professional dialogue and develop skills in strategic leadership. You will choose the focus of your work for each module to fit with your professional role and responsibilities, whilst the collaborative learning activities support you and your fellow participants to work together on leadership practice and develop creative responses to leading change.
- Both degrees are online, allowing you to fit your studies around personal and professional commitments
- Peer support is a strong theme, with online seminars enabling discussion with tutors and peers
- Tutor support through one to one sessions, online or by phone
- The degree is directly linked to the GTCS Standards for Leadership and Management (2012)
- The programme connects the national awards for Into Headship and In Headship
- Honours or ordinary degree with relevant practice experience
- You must be employed full- or part-time in an education setting, with current GTCS Registration as a Primary or Secondary teacher
- For entry to years 2 and/or 3 of the MEd Specialist Qualification in Headship, you must be nominated by your employer
- Recognition of prior learning for work completed in local authority middle leadership programmes (40 credits)
- Critical Reflection in Leadership UX311018 (20 credits)
Into Headship programme:
- Developing as a Strategic Leader UX111927 (20 Credits)
- Leading Strategic Change UX111928 (40 credits)
MEd Specialist Qualification in Headship
In Headship Programme:
- Shaping Professional Identity and Practice UX311019 (20 credits)
- Building Capacity in Excellence and Equity UX311018 (40 credits)
MEd Educational Leadership
- Educational Enquiry Proposal UX311011 (20 credits)
- Educational Enquiry UX311010 (40 credits)
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Part-time (structured)
- You will learn through a combination of webinars and tutorials, and online study via the University's virtual learning environment (VLE), with support from your tutors
- There are two national face-to-face events for the Into Headship programme (September and March in year 2) and the In Headship programme (August and May in year 3). These are organised by Education Scotland and employers. Here you will have the opportunity to meet fellow participants and share the planning of your strategic change initiatives and the outcomes of your enquiry
How long will my course last?
- Part-time (structured): 3 years
Where can I study my course?
- Orkney College UHI - You can study this fully online programme from anywhere in Scotland. You will be enrolled and supported by staff at Orkney College UHI.
For students normally domiciled in Scotland, including EU/EEA and Swiss nationals with settled or pre-settled status in the UK, with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Per module (20 credits)||£560||£560|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£1,680||£1,680|
|Postgraduate diploma (6 modules, 120 credits)||£3,360||£3,360|
|Masters degree (6 modules + dissertation)||£5,000||£5,000|
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) or assessed as rest of the UK for fee status, the following fees apply:
|Per module (20 credits)||£650||£650|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£1,950||£1,950|
|Postgraduate diploma (6 modules, 120 credits)||£3,900||£3,900|
|Masters degree (6 modules + dissertation, 180 credits)||£5,850||£5,850|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
This course is not available to students domiciled outside of the UK or for international students requiring Student Route visa sponsorship to study in the UK. For students living in the UK and assessed as international fee status, the following fees will apply:
|Per module (20 credits)||£980||£980|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£2,940||£2,940|
|Postgraduate diploma (6 modules, 120 credits)||£5,880||£5,880|
|Masters degree (6 modules + dissertation)||£8,820||£8,820|
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time rest of the UK, EU and international postgraduate students for continuous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant UHI partner college for more information.
Travel and accommodation costs for national meetings held for the Into Headship programme and the In Headship programme are met by nominating employers.
While it is expected that Years 2 and 3 of the MEd Specialist Qualification in Headship (and Educational Leadership) will continue to be funded by the Scottish Government, there is no guarantee that Year 1 modules or Year 3 Educational Leadership modules will continue to be funded in this way. Applicants should be prepared to pay these module fees and/or seek financial assistance from their employer.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of the PGCert Into Headship or PGDip Into Headship, you will be qualified to be appointed as a Head Teacher in Scotland.
On completion of any of the awards contained within this degree you will be qualified to apply for a wide range of leadership posts in settings such as schools, local authorities and partner institutions.
Can I progress into further study?
Upon successful completion of this course, you may wish to study an EdD or a PhD in Education. A Doctor of Education (EdD) is a professional degree designed for practitioners pursuing educational leadership roles. A PhD in Education, on the other hand, is designed to prepare graduates for research and teaching roles.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Specialist Qualification in Headship (and Educational Leadership) MEd
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.