Health and Safety
It is the policy of Orkney College UHI to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of its employees, students, visitors and others who may be affected by the activities of the College.
In pursuance of its Health and Safety Policy, the College will comply fully with all relevant statutory requirements and codes of practice and will, so far as is reasonably practicable:
- provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from its work activities
- provide and maintain a safe working environment which is free from risks to health and adequate in facilities and arrangements for the welfare of those in College premises
- consult with employees and students on matters affecting their health and safety
- provide and maintain safe plant and equipment
- ensure safe handling and use of hazardous substances
- provide health and safety information, instruction and supervision for employees and students
- ensure that all employees and students are competent to carry out their duties and to provide them with adequate health and safety training
- prevent accidents and cases of work related ill health
- maintain safe and healthy working and training conditions
- ensure that protective clothing and equipment is either provided for students or they are informed when they need to supply such items themselves
Students, whilst engaged in any College activity within or outwith the College must take all reasonable steps to ensure their own safety and that of all others who may be affected by their activities. In particular, students shall:
- comply with all relevant safety rules and arrangements issued by the College and with all statutory provisions
- report unsafe conditions or activities to their supervisor or appropriate College officer
- make proper use of any necessary safety measures, protective clothing or equipment
- not interfere with or misuse anything that is provided in the interest of health and safety
Orkney College UHI regards health and safety as a top priority issue. Students will not be expected to carry out any tasks that they feel might be unsafe. All concerns regarding health and safety should be brought to the attention of relevant members of College staff.
A full copy of the College’s Health and Safety Policy can be obtained, on request, from the Reception Desk.