Discretionary and childcare funds


Childcare Fund (including Lone Parent Childcare Grant)

Support from the Childcare Fund is available for eligible students and is aimed at assisting with the cost of childcare. The care must be with a registered childcare provider e.g. childminder, nursery or after school club. The Childcare Fund is an income-assessed non-repayable grant.

Discretionary Fund (for financial hardship)

This fund is an income-assessed, non-repayable grant for eligible students who can provide evidence of financial hardship. Students must access all other financial support to which they are entitled to be considered for this fund.

HE students

See UHI information on applications to Discretionary and Childcare Funds.

FE students

To download the application form for the Further Education Discretionary and Childcare Fund and Lone Parent Childcare Grant, see information under Finance on the Student Support page.

Should a student be unhappy with the funding outcome they should initially submit a request for review to Business Manager, Orkney College UHI, East Road, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1LX specifying the grounds for the review request. 

If the student disagrees with the outcome of the review they should write to the Principal, Orkney College UHI, East Road, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1LX, again clearly specifying the reason for the appeal.