School / College Link Programmes
This programme is for school pupils who would benefit from taster sessions in a variety of subject areas at college. The programme commences in August and finishes in March. Attendance is for approximately four hours per week which is made up of two, two hour blocks over two days. Six vocational areas are covered with each block lasting eight weeks.
The course aims: -
- To broaden the young person’s experience.
- To give the young person an insight into college life.
- To enable the young person to make a more informed choice regarding college courses.
- To give the young person taster sessions in a variety of subject areas.
- To prepare the young person for transition from school to college if this is their choice.
- To develop interpersonal, social and vocational skills.
- To lessen the possibility of the young person falling into ‘not attending training’ or into ‘unemployment.
The course is aimed at pupils in their last year at secondary school who would benefit from experience in a different learning environment. Relevant staff from the secondary schools within Orkney, propose the pupils who would most benefit from the course and, after discussion with relevant College staff, a final decision would be made on the class members.
Horticulture, Hospitality, Art and Design, Woodwork, IT, Agriculture and Communication
This programme is for school pupils who have complex support needs and would benefit from practical activities in different subject areas at college. Pupils who attend are referred by relevant staff from the secondary schools within Orkney and partner agencies. Pupils attend college one day per week.
The course aims: -
- To give the young person a range of experiences to develop their skills.
- To support the young person to work in a different environment.
- To encourage the young people to develop more independence in undertaking familiar tasks.
- To develop interpersonal and social skills.
- To provide a motivational programme.
Horticulture, Hospitality and Art and Design.